The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has issued a ban on certain types of trucks ahead of yet another brutal incoming storm. Starting at 8 p.m. tonight, March 20, a truck ban will be imposed along the turnpike’s east-west mainline from Ohio to New Jersey (I-76, 70/76 and 276) and on the entire Northeastern Extension (I-476). The ban will remain in place as long as winter weather conditions continue to make travel unsafe. The types of vehicles that will be affected by the ban are:
- empty straight CDL-weighted trucks
- Large Combination Vehicles (double trailers)
- tractors hauling empty trailers
- any trailers pulled by motorcycles, passenger vehicles, pickup trucks or SUVs
- all motorcycles
- all recreational vehicles, or RVs
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission warns that if weather conditions deteriorate, officials could ban all commercial vehicles from the turnpike. You can keep up to speed on the latest turnpike travel information by calling 866-976-TRIP (8747).